written by Hillary Kiser

Search

The Science Behind Slime!

Slime is all of the rage right now, right? My kids love making it. It doesn't matter the color, glitter or no glitter, glow in the dark or regular...they all want to make slime!


I love slime because it is easy and inexpensive to make. I have always wanted to bring it to the classroom though in the form of a science experiment. However, I always felt that was a bit of a stretch. It turns out, it isn't. Slime is Chemistry in its most basic form, which is great for elementary kids. I mean they are not really ready for Chemistry in its most advanced form, right?

I decided to create a few resources to go with the hands-on experiment. If you know me at all, you know I always try my hardest to integrate reading and writing into social studies and science. Does this mean social studies and science take a backseat? No way. These subjects are just as important as reading, writing, and math. However, if I can integrate a few things into one lesson...ding ding, that is a winner lesson for me!



First, I have the students read over the process of creating the slime and the science behind the slime forming. 

Next, I have the students complete the experiment of making the slime. I have mine make slime in groups because it keeps the cost down of the materials. 

Materials Needed (Per Group):

4 Fl. Oz. Elmer's Washable School Glue (colored or glitter is really fun)
1/2 TBSP Saline solution (contact solution)
1 TBSP Baking Soda

Once I pass out the materials, I allow the students to read the instructions on the experiment card to determine the process and how to make the slime. Remember, this is fun but we want the students to be problem solvers, reader, and thinkers. 


Allow a lot of good conversation while the kids are working. A quiet room isn't always best. 

While they are working (or they can even do this once they are finished and their hands are clean) the students will fill out their observations. I create my "The Science Behind Slime" in book form for the students. It works really well. 


Then, I have the students check their own understanding of the scientific process of making slime and the text they read. It is not many questions but enough that I can see if have a good understanding of the lesson. 

Make it a goal to reach your students where they are. Slime is all the rage right now. My kids at home want to make it all of the time and classroom students do too. You will win some major brownie points by doing this hands-on activity with your students. 


This lesson can be found in my shop--just click the link below! 


Not ready? Pin it for later! 

Happy Slime Making!




1 comment

  1. Hi Hillary...I came across your post for the life-size gameboard...what a fantastic idea! Pinned it...had to laugh about how the idea "came to you" as you about to go to sleep. Do we teachers ever stop thinking about teaching? I'm your newest follower, by the way.

    ReplyDelete