written by Hillary Kiser

Search

The Perfect Fall Non-Candy Treat!

I am always looking for ways to treat students that does not include candy. I'll be honest, it isn't easy to find creative things. I mean there is always a bag of pretzels or a cute craft but let's be honest, most of that is already packaged up and doesn't show a ton of thought.

Last year I tried my hand at crayon molds and they were a huge success! However, they took FOREVER (I did it wrong.) lol. So after baking them last year and realizing what a big moron I was...I tried again this year but took the easy route! Let me just say...perfection!


So, let me quickly fill you in on last year. The crayon molds turned out perfect but the prep was ridiculous. I thought you had to break up the crayons into tiny pieces. When I say tiny, I mean the tiniest pieces in the entire world. I am not sure if I saw that somewhere or dreamed it...but after I baked them I realized it didn't matter. I also thought you had to fill up the silicone mold to the very top. No, nope, no. 

Anyway, lesson learned. Let me take you through our process this year!

On Thursday, (yay Amazon Prime) I ordered this Pumpkin and Leaf Silicone Mold. Any pumpkin mold will do but I did not have any (last year I did ghosts and the tail was easily broken when I pulled them out.) I knew these would be better this year!


We had a ton of old crayons so my son and I started taking off the paper and breaking apart the crayons. I think this took a total of about 10 minutes, very simple this time. I did not break these into small pieces which made the process so much easier!



We also used almost all bright colors. I think there was an eggplant color mixed in but other than that...bright colors (these make the best mixtures!)


Notice these are not filled to the top or all filled the same amount. Guess what? It doesn't matter! :)

Next, we preheated the oven to 250 degrees and placed the molds in the oven for 15 minutes. 


Once they were done, we pulled them out and allowed them to cool for about 20 minutes. 


Not super pretty huh? In my head...I was thinking "Oh boy...those look terrible." Luckily, when I popped them out, the other side (the side that matters) was beautiful!

Silicone is awesome, you can just pop these out no trouble! I did not grease it or anything ahead of time!


Next, just pair them (the pumpkin ones) with these adorable Pumpkin Patch Printables!





Now, you don't have to do the leaf ones if you just want the pumpkin ones to go on the cards for students! I would just break up enough crayons so that when one batch is done, you can quickly throw another batch in. Regardless, it doesn't take long so doing a few batches won't be hard. 


I also love how the leaf ones turned out though! My kids loves coloring with those!


I hope you find this useful! It is great for students, you don't have to worry about allergies and the novelty of the treat is perfect! Also, remember it doesn't have to be for Halloween, it can just be a fall treat!

Happy Fall Y'all!
Hillary













No comments

Post a Comment